Sunday, November 3, 2013

A Few of My Favorite Things (Short Story Version)

My last post consisted of the short story collections that I own. (see it here.) In this post I would like to talk about some of my favorite short stories I have read out of those collections. As I read more of these short stories, I hope to add to this list and make future posts with more stories.

The first story I would like to talk about is the longest of the stories on this list. It might be considered a short novel rather than a short story, but since it is one of my favorites I want to include it on my list of short stories. That is of course Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote. If you have seen the movie version with Audrey Hepburn, which is just as equally amazing, you still should read the book. They are two completely different stories! I saw the movie first and fell in love with it, and then a couple of years later I read the book, and fell in love with it as well. Capote's Holly Golightly is so different from the movie Holly, but yet at the same time they are so much the same. You really must read the book to understand what I am talking about, and I highly recommend it if you love the movie, or if you haven't even seen the movie.
 
 The next two stories I have on my list come from the same story collection. The Sphinx Without a Secret and The Caterville Ghost come from Oscar Wilde's collection entitled Lord Arthur Savile's Crime and Other Stories. The Sphinx Without a Secret is the shortest story on this list today. I really enjoyed this small piece of writing. I have spoke of my love for Oscar Wilde before. I think he is so witty and wise and his flamboyant personality is so alluring and always makes me smile, so I may be a little biased when I put his writing in my favorites category, but he really is a great writer. The Caterville Ghost is a slightly longer piece and more of a fictional story, as apposed to Sphinx which is more of a small recollection of an event. Both pieces are great, as well as everything else Oscar Wilde has written.
 
The final story  I will mention today is from F. Scott Fitzgerald's collection Babylon Revisited. The story that has made the biggest impact on me out of what I have read so far is The Diamond as Big as the Ritz. This is one of Fitzgerald's more well known short stories. Fitzgerald wrote a lot of short stories that he sold to magazines to help pay for his wife's medical problems. Some of his short stories are quite bazar, this one included. His short stories are much different from his novels. I don't want to say too much about the plot, because I think if you have read any of his novels and then read this story you will be quite surprised.
  
    

No comments:

Post a Comment