Sunday, June 2, 2013

Recently Read: This Side of Paradise

Ever since discovering F. Scott Fitzgerald in my Junior year of high school's American Literature class, he has become one of my favorite authors. I have read most of his books, and a few of his short stories. Most recently, I have read This Side of Paradise. I enjoyed it, although it is not my favorite book of his.
The novel's main character Amory is intelligent, rebellious, and a little unsure of what he wants out of life. The novel follows him through his years at a university and shortly after he graduates. The book is said to be semi-autobiographical of Fitzgerald, some characters are based on people from his life, and some events based on events from his life, which adds an interest factor to the novel.
 
 
As always, Fitzgerald's characters are marvelous, over the top, and extremely complicated and deep. The reader begins to learn the habits and flaws of Amory at the start of the book and sees them continuing throughout Amory's university years. I find Fitzgerald and his wife Zelda to be fascinating people, and I believe Fitzgerald to be a truly fantastic novelist. I would recommend this book as well as Fitzgerald's other works.    

No comments:

Post a Comment