Thursday, October 29, 2015

Classics Club Women's Literature Event: Reading List


The past two weeks have been a little crazy, I had five papers due in a two week span, and I came down with the flu this past weekend so I'm a little bit behind. But I'm back today finally with my reading list for the Women's Classic Literature Event! I made a list of all the classics I own by women and it was much longer than I expected. I decided to make a list of my top fifteen or so priority reads from what I own, and if I read them all before the event is over, I will make a new list...but let's not get ahead of ourselves. 

You can read my announcement post and survey answers here!
  
So, here are fifteen books I'm hoping to read for this event:

A Vindication of the Rights of Women, Mary Wollstonecraft, 1792 (essay)
The Tenant of Wildfell Hall, Anne Bronte, 1848
The Lamplighter, Maria Susana Cummings, 1854 (currently reading)
Silly Novels by Lady Novelists, George Elliot, 1856 (essay)
The Yellow Wallpaper and Other Stories, Charlotte Perkins Gilman, 1892 (short stories)
The House of Mirth, Edith Wharton, 1905
To the Lighthouse, Virginia Woolf, 1927
Rebecca, Daphne du Maurier, 1938 
Gigi and The Cat, Colette, 1944 (novellas)
The Heat of the Day, Elizabeth Bowen, 1948
The Collected Poems of Dorthy Parker, 1940's-1950's (Poetry)
The Collected Poems of Sylvia Plath, 1956-1963 (Poetry)
Memoirs of a Beatnik, Diana di Prima, 1969 (Memoir)
I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings, Maya Angelou, 1969 (Memoir)
Beloved, Toni Morrison, 1988 

I'm pretty happy with the diversity of this list. I have some short stories, novels, essays, memoirs, and poems. I have a lot of 20th century classics, but I have a mix of older classics too. I will of course be blogging about works previously read that are not on this list, as well as these works. I'm really looking forward to sharing the love for some amazing female authors. 

So, let me know which of these you have read and what you thought. And let me know what you are reading for the event so I can add to my TBR! 

6 comments:

  1. YES YOU MUST READ REBECCA. This is kind of hypocritical coming from someone who's always reluctant to pick books up if they've been recommended to me a lot (I'm just irritatingly stubborn that way) but I can promise that Rebecca is so worth reading. It's definitely du Maurier's masterpiece. The Yellow Wallpaper's great, too. :)

    I definitely want to read The Tenant of Wildfell Hall before this event is over, and Silly Novels by Lady Novelists is something I definitely want to check out!

    Hope you're feeling better soon, Mallory!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely be getting to Rebecca! It has been on my TBR for far too long!
      Thanks Jess and thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I'll add my recommendation for reading Rebecca. Such a good book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone who has read it loves it, it's really time I got to it!
      Thanks for stopping by Kay!

      Delete
  3. Oh, I'd like to read that essay by Eliot! :) I love that you've got some poetry collections on here. ENJOY! :)

    ReplyDelete