Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Theme Spotlight: Family Relationships

I've rounded up some more reads for another Theme Spotlight. This one is all about family. I've broken this list into two categories: sibling relationships and whole family relationships.

Previous Theme Spotlights:
Gender in YA
Spirituality in Classics
Self-Discovery
Unique Form

Sibling Relationships
This is one of my favorite books I have read all year, and it is one of my favorite sibling relationships I have ever read. Jude and Noah are twins who have been torn apart by hurtful words and actions, and the novel tells the story of their breaking apart and coming back together. If you have not read this yet, please do.  

 This is a free verse novel about conjoined twins. It's super interesting and addicting- I read the whole novel in one sitting- I couldn't put it down. This is a really unique sibling dynamic and a really unique YA novel. I highly recommend checking this one out.

Marianne and Elinor are a very well-known pair of classic sisters. I love the way Austen contrasts these two opposite sisters and makes their relationship the focus of the novel rather a romantic relationship. I love Austen's humor and wit!  

Family Relationships
 This book is really great. I love Nelson's writing and the way she tackles family relationships. The relationships in this novel are so realistic, and Nelson captures the little unique aspects about a family perfectly. This one is about Lenny who is dealing with the death of her older sister, and it's both heartbreaking and beautiful.

This is an adult novel that has gotten a lot of buzz since it's publication and rightly so. This one tells the story of a mixed American- Chinese family living in Ohio in the 1970's dealing with the death of their daughter/sister. I love how it tells the story of the parents relationship, the two siblings lives, and the life of the dead sister. 

No comments:

Post a Comment