Friday, October 2, 2015

Recently Read: The Legend of Sleepy Hollow

Author: Washington Irving
Genre: Classic/ Short Story
Publication Date: 1820
Rating: 4/5 


Happy October! I thought I would start off this month with some quick thoughts on The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Washington Irving. This is an American short story, which is perfect for October and creepy reading. I also love the Disney animated short of this story, and highly recommend you read the story and then watch the animated version as they compliment each other quite nicely,

I just read this story for my American Lit class, and this was the first time I read it, although I knew the story quite well from watching the Disney version. Irving was America's first international superstar author, and his works were praised in both America and Britain while he was alive. Irving is quite the interesting character as he created different pseudonyms for the different types of writing he did. Sleepy Hollow was published under Knickerbocker, under which he wrote many of his humors works and short stories. The name for the NY Knicks basketball team comes from Knickerbocker, which became associated with New York because of Irving.

Anyway, this story is actually quite humorous and pokes a little bit of fun at superstitions and legends. The story has a really cool framed set up, as you are several layers removed from the actual story, and this adds nicely to comments on legends, myths and superstitions.

This is a really quick read and perfect for those who aren't the biggest fan of classics, as it is short and entertaining. It is a piece that could be read, analysed, and wrote about, but it is also a piece that you could just read and enjoy. It's in the public domain so you can pick up a free e-book or audiobook version many places on the web. And like I mentioned earlier, after you read it, check out the Disney version as it is just too cute!



Happy Spooky Reading! 

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for reminding me that I need to read this, Mallory! :) I think I might add this to my TBR for this month because I keep meaning to read it. The Disney version is a lot of fun - it's the only Disney story where the leading lady marries the villain, though if I were her I wouldn't want to marry Ichabod Crane either - and I love the Tim Burton version with Johnny Depp, too. :D Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I like the Tim Burton version too, though that one strays from the original story quite a bit! I really recommend picking this up this month! It's a quick and fun read.
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete