Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday: Favorite Literary Characters/Personalities

Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by The Broke and the Bookish

This week was a freebie pick your own topic week, so I choose to make a list of some of my favorite characters. This list is in no particular order.

1. Jem from The Infernal Devices by Cassandra Clare I was always team Jem, Will is great too but... Jem! He's so polite and sensitive and thoughtful.

2. Peter Pan from Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie Peter is one of my all time favorite books and Peter is such a fascinating character. Even though he is just a child, there are so many sides to his personality and the way he reacts to others. Plus I love the way he crows like a rooster when he is pleased with himself!

3. Sherlock Holmes from the Sherlock Holmes Stories by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle I'm not going to speak about my love for Sherlock too much, I have mentioned in many posts my love of Sherlock, but he really is such an interesting person. He is so mysterious, yet he manages to be fully developed and full of surprises. I love his wit and intelligence and the way he shows his affection for those he cares about.

4. John Watson from The Sherlock Holmes Stories by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle Watson is perhaps my favorite literary character ever. His fierce loyalty is second to none, and he is so very, very important to Sherlock. I really love the way that the BBC Sherlock where Martin Freeman plays Watson portrays him, I think that portrayal is so true to Watson and really highlights the way that Watson saved Holmes.

5. Oscar Wilde from The Oscar Wilde Murder Mysteries Series by Gyles Brandeth This is one of my favorite series of all time, and if you have seen my review for The Picture of Dorian Gray  you know how much I love the real Oscar Wilde. Brandeth portrays Wilde perfectly, his wit, and over the top personality really shine through in this series. Bonus fact: Sherlock Holme's older brother Mycroft was inspired by Oscar Wilde, he and Doyle were good friends for many years.

6. Mr. Bennet from Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen Lizzy's dad made me laugh through out the entire novel, he is so practical compared to his wife and his sarcastic comments always made me laugh. You can read my review of this book here.

7. Celaena from The Throne of Glass Series by Sarah J. Maas I love this series and Celaena is such a bad ass. She kicks some major butt, and I like how she uses her beauty as a weapon as well as her assassin skills. I reviewed Throne of Glass here.

8. Hermione Granger from The Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling Of course Hermione is going to be on a list of favorite characters. I admire her hard work, how much she values knowledge and education, how she is always true to herself, and the way she saves Harry and Ron a million and one times. 

9. Holly Golightly from Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote Holly is truly a unique character, no one, including herself, fully understands her. She is able to draw people in and capture their attention is a way that is unique to her. I wrote a little on Capote's story here.

 and in honor of the final book's release today...

10. Magnus Bane from The Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare I just finished rereading City of Lost Souls in order to prepare for City of Heavenly Fire and found my love for Magnus re-sparked. He is so true to himself and so kind hearted, loyal, and funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment