Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Just Added (5): Graphic Novel Edition Part 1

I've got lots of graphic novel reading plans for this summer, and I thought I would share the last three graphic novels I have added to my Goodreads TBR. Don't forget to add me on Goodreads so I can see what you're reading!
Previous Just Added Post

Kill My Mother: A Graphic Novel, Jules Feiffer

Summary from Goodreads:

Adding to a legendary career that includes a Pulitzer Prize, an Academy Award, Obie Awards, and Lifetime Achievement Awards from the National Cartoonist Society and the Writers Guild of America, Jules Feiffer now presents his first noir graphic novel. Kill My Mother is a loving homage to the pulp-inspired films and comic strips of his youth. Channeling Eisner's The Spirit, along with the likes of Hammett, Chandler, Cain, John Huston, and Billy Wilder, and spiced with the deft humor for which Feiffer is renowned, Kill My Mother centers on five formidable women from two unrelated families, linked fatefully and fatally by a has-been, hard-drinking private detective.

As our story begins, we meet Annie Hannigan, an out-of-control teenager, jitterbugging in the 1930s. Annie dreams of offing her mother, Elsie, whom she blames for abandoning her for a job soon after her husband, a cop, is shot and killed. Now, employed by her husband s best friend an over-the-hill and perpetually soused private eye Elsie finds herself covering up his missteps as she is drawn into a case of a mysterious client, who leads her into a decade-long drama of deception and dual identities sprawling from the Depression era to World War II Hollywood and the jungles of the South Pacific.

Along with three femme fatales, an obsessed daughter, and a loner heroine, Kill My Mother features a fighter turned tap dancer, a small-time thug who dreams of being a hit man, a name-dropping cab driver, a communist liquor store owner, and a hunky movie star with a mind-boggling secret. Culminating in a U.S.O. tour on a war-torn Pacific island, this disparate band of old enemies congregate to settle scores.

Why I added it: I really like noir films, and would love to watch more, so I thought this graphic novel would be really cool to check out. I'm thinking the art and atmosphere will be great.

Woman's World: A Graphic Novel, Graham Rawle 

Summary from Goodreads:

Norma Fontaine lives in a perfect woman's world of handy tips and sensible advice. She measures life by the standards set in the magazines she reads, so when she bumps into Mr Hands and he suggests taking tea at the Excella cafe, how could she possibly refuse? What could be more exhilarating, or more appropriate?

Why I added it: This one is made up of clipped out magazine pictures and articles, which is a very neat idea. I think this one will have some feminist themes and commentary, as the clippings are from old 60's-ish magazines.





Wonder Woman Vol. 1 Blood,   Tony Akins
 
Summary from Goodreads:

The first six issues of the critically acclaimed new WONDER WOMAN series are collected in hardcover! Hippolyta, queen of the Amazons, has kept a secret from her daughter all her life – and when Wonder Woman learns who her father is, her life will shatter like brittle clay. The only one more shocked than Diana by this revelation? Bloodthirsty Hera – so why is her sinister daughter, Strife, so eager for the truth to be told? Superstar writer Brian Azzarello creates a new direction for one of DC's best-known heroes, with spectacular art by Cliff Chiang and Tony Akins!

Why I added it: I've been wanting to get into more super hero graphic novels, particularly female heroes, and I have heard really great things about this new Wonder Woman series. I've heard that Wonder Woman really kicks butt in this one, and the physical way she is drawn is respectful and powerful.  

What Graphic Novels have you added to your TBR lately? 

No comments:

Post a Comment