Saturday, August 15, 2015

Weekly Wrap-Up: Writing Posts Like Crazy!

What's New:
I am starting to get my stuff around for going back to school (cries!) I'm not ready to go back; I have too many books to read yet! I'm also continuing to try and get ahead so I can have a couple weeks of posts ready for when school starts, but I still have a lot of work to do in that department.

What I Read:
This week I finished the first book off of my August Goals list, Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein and I loved it! It's been a long time since a book has made me cry, but this one sure did. I will be reading the companion novel this month too, and I will be checking out Wein's newest novel sometime soon. I also started my reread off of my goals list, Midwinterblood by Marcus Sedgwick. This was my favorite book I read last year, so I am more than excited to revisit it.

 

What I Bought:
I made a small Book Depository order last week, and the books just came in this week. I love that the Book Depository has books that are hard to find in the US (mainly Penguin series). So this is what I picked up.
I love Owen's war poetry; it is some of the best I have ever read. I'm excited to read the poems in this collection that I have not read yet. I love the Little Black Penguin series of small poetry collections. 

I have picked up a few books from the Penguin Great Ideas series from Book Depository, and now I need to get to reading them. Orwell is quite brilliant, and someone I really need to get around to reading more from.  

This one is going to be made into a movie soon, and the premise sounds amazing. I featured it in a Just Added post if you are interested in reading more about it, but all your really need to know is- suffragettes. 


What I Posted: 
Monday- I reviewed a YA classic: Laurie Halse Anderson's Speak, which really made me think and reflect.
Tuesday- I talked about Ten authors I have read the most books from.
Wednesday- I did a Poetry Spotlight on the ever brilliant Emily Dickinson.
Thursday- I gave some Recommendations of books for boys (from a boy).

Last Week's Wrap-Up

What's Next: 
Monday- Review of The Shadow Cabinet by Maureen Johnson 
Tuesday: TTT: Auto-buy Authors
Wednesday: Tale as Old as Time (3)
Thursday: Epigraphs (3)

Stacking the Shelves Hosted by: Tyngas Reviews
The Sunday Post Hosted by: The Caffeinated Book Reviewer

How was your week? How do you feel about summer coming to an end? What is the last book that made you cry?

20 comments:

  1. Oh, am intrigued about Code Name Verity now - am off to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not too happy about summer coming to an end! I like fall, but it just seems like it went too fast.

    I've heard Book Depository sometimes has books that are ahrd to get in the US, I may use them at some point.

    Let's see, the alst book that made me tear up... probably Letters from Skye. Just has a powerful ending, I thought. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This summer has gone way too fast! Book Depository is great for books that are hard-to-find in the US, and the shipping is free! I will add Letters from Skye to my TBR! I have seen it around a few times.
      Thanks for stopping by Greg!

      Delete
  3. Oh, Code Name Verity is just devastating, I loved it. Heh, I live in New Zealand so we're heading into spring soon, but I love autumn and winter so I'll miss the colder months :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy your Spring! Last winter in my state was awful, so hopefully this winter and fall will be a bit more mild.
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. Code Name Verity sounds so good - I read a real crier this past week so may not be up for another soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to take a break between Code Name and the companion novel for that same reason! I need a break before I tackle another emotional read.
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. I loved Midwinterblood too! And Code name Verity has been on my wishlist for a while...need to get to that one! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you loved Midwinterblood! I highly recommend Code Name- so good!
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. I read Code Name Verity last year and loved it. I’m pretty sure there’s a sequel, but I don’t know much about it.

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a companion novel! I'm hoping to get to it before the end of the month.
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. Oh I haven't read Code name verity. I will have to check it out. Marcus Sedgwick is usually a hit or miss for me I either love them or hate them I never have an in between with his writing.

    Megan @ http://readingawaythedays.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, please read Code Name Verity! I LOVE Sedgwick, so I would be interested to hear which books you disliked!
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  8. I am also trying to get everything in order before school starts! The time becomes very precious after August!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love George Orwell, such a great writer.

    The cover of the Hourglass Factory is wonderful, will check this book out.

    Have a great week.

    Heather | Random Redheaded Ramblings

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad to see that you enjoyed Code Name Verity! I've had a copy of it on my shelf for the longest time but I still haven't read it. Have an awesome week.
    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really great! I highly recommend it!
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete