Monday, August 17, 2015

Recently Read: The Shadow Cabinet

Author: Maureen Johson
Genre: Young Adult/ Paranormal
Status: Third in series of four (?) books
Publication Date: 2015
Page Count: 3
Rating: 3/5

Add on Goodreads

Also by Maureen Johnson:
The Name of the Star (look how far my reviews have come!)
The Madness Underneath



The Shadow Cabinet is the third novel in Johnson's Shades of London series. Rory is left with the ability to see ghosts after a near-death-experience while studying abroad in London. She soon finds she is not the only one in London with this ability, and that "Shades" make up a secret police force that help fight crime caused by ghosts. 

If you have read the first two books in this series than you are familiar with the huge cliff-hanger that the second book left on, and the very, very long wait between the release of book two and three. I was really excited to get my hands on this book because I thought it was the conclusion to a trilogy. I waited a VERY long time for this conclusion, and come to find out, it's not even the conclusion! That was pretty annoying and disappointing, and may have affected my enjoyment of the novel slightly, but even without that factored in, this was my least favorite novel of the series. 

The tone of this novel is quite different from the first two, and I realize that that makes total sense because of the event at the end of book two, but my favorite thing about this series was Rory's hilarious narrative voice. That was missing during this book. I was also a little annoyed with some of the turns the plot took. I realize that this might sound weird because I am talking about a paranormal novel, but some things were just a little too far-fetched and maybe even a little random. 

This book was just okay for me. I will be picking up the next (and hopefully last) book in this series, because I do want to know how this series ends for all of these characters. I highly recommend the first book in this series, as it both creeped me out and made me laugh out loud. 

What did you think of this one? Do you have any information on the fourth book for me?  

4 comments:

  1. I read the first book and never did continue. Now I feel like I should go back and start over again. Maybe I'll listen to it on audio. Will keep in mind that #2 has a big cliffhanger. I did like the first book a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first book was my favorite of the series! It was so funny and creepy. I am eager to see how the series wraps up.
      Thanks for stopping by Kay!

      Delete
    2. I think I'm going to have to check this series out--at least the first one!

      Delete
    3. It's an enjoyable series!
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete