Thursday, October 2, 2014

Fun and Light Reads: My Recommendations and TBR List

Sometimes you just need something quick, cute, and light to read. I'm currently about half way through this semester at university and I'm starting to gravitate toward quick reads to help me forget about my never ending to-do list for a little while.
So, here's my guide and some recommendations for light and fun reads. Leave me suggestions down below!

Young Adult Quirky Contemporary Romance
I love a good contemporary romance to break up a list of required reading. My go authors in this category include David Levithan (try Boy Meets Boy )and Jenny Han (try To All the Boys I've Loved Before.) Next on my TBR list for this category is  Two Boys Kissing by David Levithan and A Little Something Different by Sandy Hall. 
 
   
New Adult
I don't read a lot of New Adult or romance novels, just because they're not usually my thing. But I have been throwing a New Adult book into the mix every once in a while and there's some really popular authors in the genre I would like to try out. I read and enjoyed Losing it by Cora Carmack and Hopeless by Colleen Hoover.
Next I want to try something by Katie McGary and J. Lyn.
 


Middle Grade
I love Middle Grade books! They are always so fun and adventurous! My Favorites include The Heros of Olympus Series, The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman , Peter and the Starcatchers series by James Barrie, and Theodosia and the Serpents of Chaos.
I'm eager to carry on with the Theodosia Throckmorton Series by R. L. Lafevers and I would like to start The Fairyland Series by Cathrine M. Valentie. 


 

Paranormal Romance
These are the ultimate quick, no literary analysis required reads. The Lux Series by Jenifer L. Armentrout is a good fast and addicting series. It's definitely not the finest example of literature and has its flaws and long make out sessions, but it's just so fun and such a great break from heavy reading. I haven't read much from this genre so I'm looking to try out some more.
Two series I'm really interested in are The Sweet Evil Trilogy by Wendy Higgins and The Arcana Chronicles by Kresley Cole.  
 

Short Stories
The last category is short story collections. I love reading the Sherlock Holmes stories and need to continue. I would also like to read some more Gaiman short stories as well as finish Flappers and Philosophers by F. Scott Fitzgerald which I'm about half way through. Short Stories are great when you only have a couple minutes to read each day because they don't take too long to read, and if it takes you a year to read the collection, so what? You don't have any plots or characters to keep track of for the whole book like you would with a novel.
 
What do you like to read when you need something light and quick? 

2 comments:

  1. Oh you have some fantastic books on this list! I've got A Little Something Different and The Girl Who Circumnavigated.... etc on my TBR too! (Quite a mouthful of a title, that last one :-P )

    I love the Sherlock Holmse stories, and though I haven't read that particular Fitzgerald collection, I am QUITE a fan of his writing style. Currently, I'm delving into some O. Henry short stories, which are fantastic, and definitely pack a punch! Every single one has a twist at the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohhh I will have to add O. Henry to the TBR list!
      I love Fitzgerald's writing too, his short stories always surprise me and seem to have a bitter tone more often than not (which fits in if you know anything about how much he disliked writing short stories but was forced to in order to support their lavish life style.)
      thanks for stopping by!

      Delete