Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Books with Characters Who Are Crazy



It took me a really long time to decide on my topic for this week (having my books packed up and not all at the same place doesn't help either) but I was inspired by one of the books on this list to talk about crazy characters. 

Now, when I say crazy I mean an array of things on this list, as you will see. Some are serial killer crazy and some are dealing with mental issues (which of course doesn't make them crazy but for the purposes of this list I have included them) and some of them are evil crazy. So if you want to get into the mind of someone a little unstable and unreliable, here are some of my recommendations.  

 
1. Tracks by Louise Erdrich: Pauline
This is the novel and character that inspired today's topic. Holy (haha, that was an excellent joke if you have read the novel!) smokes is Pauline crazy but so fascinating to read as a narrator. I will be reviewing this book next week so there will be more on Pauline then.

2. Hamlet by William Shakespeare: Hamlet
Shakespeare has a large number of crazy characters to pick from, but Hamlet is one of the best and the craziest. I'm reading this one right now, and Hamlet is brilliant, but crazy.

3. Where Things Come Back by John Corey Walley: Could be spolierish so I won't tell you
I'm afraid telling you who is crazy could be spolierish but trust me, someone in this novel is straight up crazy. I love this book and really want to reread it soon! 

 
4. The Catcher in the Rye: Holden Caulfield 
It's because I love Holden that I can call him crazy!

5. The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde: Dorian Gray
Dorian Gray is obsessive, evil, and extremely beautiful; is there a better combination for a crazy literary character? Wilde's writing is pure genius of course, which makes his character all the better. Read my review here.

6. Throne of Glass Series by Sarah J. Maas: Celaena Sardothien
Now, I love Celaena Sardothien very much, but you can't deny that girlfriend is crazy sometimes in every possible meaning of the word. This is what makes her such a real, and beautiful character.

 

7. The Sherlock Holmes Stories by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle: Professor Moriarty
Moriarty is one of my all-time favorite villains. He's the perfect villain for Holmes, and he makes my skin crawl in every movie or tv show adaptation!

8. Great Expectations by Charles Dickens: Mrs. Havisham 
Okay, so I have only read the graphic novel version of this story, but I got enough of the story to know that Mrs. Havisham is crazy. Anyone who spends fifty plus years living in a wedding dress she was wearing when she was left at the alter wins a spot on my crazy list.

9. Choke by Chuck Palahniuk: Everyone in the entire novel
Everyone in this novel is crazy and unstable, but some of them are lovable in odd ways. This is the only Palahniuk I have read, and I think it is quite tame for him, so if you don't think you would be a fan of some of his wilder stuff (that's me) then this could be a good Palahniuk experience for you. Read my review here.


10. The Yellow Wallpaper by Charlotte Perkins Gilman: The Narrator
Girlfriend is crazy, but she has dang good reason to be! This is a short story and a piece with feminist themes I recommend you check out. 

20 comments:

  1. Great topic - I like your broad choices. :)

    Check out my TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pick! I absolutely loved Hamlet's craziness! He's one of my favorite characters from Shakespeare! My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is such a fascinating and deep character!
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. What a good idea for your choice plus you are right on with your selections.

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic choices. It's intriguing to read about crazy characters. My TTT!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great topic, Mallory! I agree, Hamlet is all sorts of messed up, and I think Miss Havisham was my favourite character in Great Expectations. I enjoyed the BBC adaptation a couple of years ago where she was played by Gillian Anderson; she did a wonderful job of portraying her. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to read Great Expectations! I've seen a few adaptations that I would like to see, but of course, I want to read the book first!
      Thanks for stopping by Jess!

      Delete
  6. I LOVE your list. Crazy characters are pretty much always my favourite character in any story. Pretty much all these books have now been added to my tbr now. Thanks for sharing!

    My TTT https://jazminjade.wordpress.com/2015/04/28/top-ten-tuesday-childrens-books-featuring-death/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I like your topic. Unstable - unreliable - whatever - always draws me in. I end up puzzling through to see what I think might happen. This is an interesting prompt this week - to each his/her own, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I love a well done unstable character!
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  8. Great topic, I love that you used a very broad range of books too. The only one I've read is Throne of Glass, I agree Celeana is definitely crazy, but that's one of the reasons why I love her so much. I'm kind of intrigued by this Tracks book, so I'll read your review of it and then see what I think.
    Here's my TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2015/04/28/top-ten-tuesdays-2/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracks was really great, and totally out of left field for me!
      Thanks for stopping by! and I hope to see you back on Monday for my review!

      Delete
  9. I want to read Where Things Come Back. Your list is a little similar to mine http://videoclimbersvariations.blogspot.com/2015/04/top-ten-tuesday-top-ten-books-with.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I highly recommend it! I'm eager to reread it soon.
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  10. Hamlet is such a classic- I loved it so much! Also, totally agree with your thoughts on Celaena.

    My T10T: http://tsundokubooks.blogspot.com/2015/04/top-ten-tuesday-top-ten-characters-from.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both are lovable but crazy characters!
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete