Monday, April 27, 2015

Recently Read: Simon Vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda

Author: Becky Albertalli
Genre: Young Adult Contemporary
Page Count: 320
Status: Stand alone
Rating: 4/5



Simon is in high school. Simon is not-so-openly gay. Simon is having a secret email relationship with another boy at his school. The problem is, Simon doesn't know who this boy is, and he thinks he has real feelings for him. When someone at Simon's school reads one of the emails, Simon finds himself being black mailed into trying to make a romantic connection between his black mailer and his best friend while he tries to decipher the identity of his email lover. 

This book was so cute! I'm not the biggest contemporary fan, so I'm always a little hesitant to pick them up, but I generally enjoy them more when the narrators are males so I decided to pick this one up. It did take a little while for me to get into it (I always find it a little jarring to enter the mind of a teenage boy for the fist couple chapters of a book) but once I got into it, I couldn't put it down. This book had me laughing out loud and swooning! The romance in this novel is so cute and I loved the mystery element in the romance.

Of course, this book is more than just a really entertaining read. It's proof of the bravery that it takes to be yourself. There is a lot of love and truth in this novel that is just as important to the novel as the cute romance and laugh out loud moments. One quote that I loved from this book is, 
"I'm just so sick of straight people who can't get their shit together."
I really recommend checking this one out, it was cute, funny, heartwarming, and meaningful. Leave me your recommendations for YA books with gay main characters, as I would love to read more.

  

2 comments:

  1. Eeeeeeeeeeeep. I am even more excited about reading this book now! I have high expectations and I love what you wrote about the bravery that it takes in order to be ourselves. And that's one of the reasons I'm looking forward to reading this book. Thank you for your review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a really enjoyable read, great themes and great humor!
      Hope you enjoy it!
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete