Thursday, April 23, 2015

The Classics Tag!

I was tagged by Jess to do the Classics Tag, which is right up my alley of course! Writing this post is my excuse to take a break from a history paper so I couldn't be happier to be talking about my love of classic literature!
Okay, let's get started!

An Over-Hyped Classic 
People are CRAZY about this Shakespeare play but I did not like it one bit! And I know a lot of people love the film version of this play, but I did not like that either. 

Favorite Time Period To Read Classics from
I love modern classics- specifically anything 1920's onward! I love the Lost Generation and Modernism and anything that was a result from WWII. 
Favorite Fairy Tale 

My favorite fairy tale Blue Beard was a recent discovery. This fairy tale is so strange, violent, and disturbing, but it is so curious and puzzling that it really intrigues me. I also love how often it is alluded to, retold, and reworked in modern fiction. 
Most Embarrassing Unread Classic

I need to read Frankenstein ASAP! I loved Gris Grimly's graphic novel adaptation, and ever since reading that I have been itching to read the original.   
Top Five Classics I Want to Read Next
 

 


Johnny Panic and the Bible of Dreams, Sylvia Plath
Tess of the D'urberville, Thomas Hardy
Sense and Sensiblity, Jane Austen
And Then There Were None, Agatha Christie 
A Room with a View, E.M Forster 
Favorite Modern Retelling


I love that both Pride and Prejudice and Bridget Jones' Diary make me laugh out loud! Bridget is such a great character, and so is Lizzie. If you love P&P I highly recommend reading Bridget Jones! Plus, Collin Firth is in the movie adaptation of Bridget Jones! (Swoon!)
Favorite Adaptation 
 

I just read Emma not that long ago, and I loved matching up the plot and characters to Clueless! Please don't get me started on the timelessness of Jane Austen again, because once I start, I can not stop!
Least Favorite Adaptation 

This one takes the cake for the scariest adaptation for sure! If you have not seen this, or didn't even know it existed, it is the single weirdest thing I have seen in my entire life. My fourth grade teacher showed it to us and I'm still recovering. Dorothy is in a mental institute receiving shock treatments because the adults think she is crazy for talking about Oz. No, I'm not kidding you. 
Beautiful Editions

I would give my future first born child for a collection of the Penguin Deluxe Classics, or any of the special edition classics that Penguin puts out. They sure do know how to publish a beautiful book!
An Under-Hyped Classic 

The End of the Affair by Graham Greene caught me off guard. It was my first Greene novel and I am so glad I started with this one. The writing is beautiful and this book has so many layers and huge themes to it for such a short book. Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton is one of my all-time favorite books ever, and it is not talked about enough! Ethan is such a vivid character and the symbolism of the pickle dish is one of the greatest examples of symbolism I have ever come across in all my reading. 

I Tag...
And You! If you read and discuss classics on your blog, please do this tag and leave me a link to it!
I am always on the hunt for new blogs that talk about classics. 

15 comments:

  1. Great answers, Mallory!

    Hehe, I love Return to Oz. It's pretty creepy, but I seemed to love creepy stuff in particular when I was younger. I grew up watching films like Beetlejuice and Sleepy Hollow, which I guess explains why I love Victorian Gothic so much.

    Bridget Jones's Diary is so much fun, and yes you definitely need to read Frankenstein! Let me know when you pick it up, and I promise I'll read The Handmaid's Tale. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg Return to Oz is so scary. I was, and still am, such a wimp when it comes to scary movies! Yay! I can't wait for you to read The Handmaid's Tale! I'm hoping to read Frankenstein very soon!
      Thanks for tagging me and thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Oh, how fun! I love reading classics as well! Happy reading! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to see you do this tag!
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. I'm not much of a classics reader at all. However, I love Sense and Sensibility and I love And Then There Were None. Hope you enjoy those! Oh, and I love Bridget Jones and Clueless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to reading both of them, I think I'm going to love them. And I do too! I want to re-watch both of them right now... but homework.
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. I adore Edith Wharton. If you haven't read her The House of Mirth, it's exquisite! (I had to watch A Midsummer Night's Dream for school when I was five. Did. Not. Get. It. But... now I like it. A lot.) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The House of Mirth is my next Wharton I will be reading actually! I may have to try a Midsummer Night's Dream again someday. It might just have been the way I had to study it in school that made me dislike it.
      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
    2. YAY! I want you to read Mirth & Sense! They're two of my absolute favorites! :D

      Delete
  5. Oh, I meant to add: Sense & Sensibility is my favorite Austen! I'm excited to see it on your list! I hope you love it!! :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sooo many people have been telling me they love S&S lately!
      Thanks for stopping by again! haha

      Delete
  6. I think my favourite time period is the 19th century. I love how many books blend different parts of Enlightenment and Romanticism. So fascinating.

    We studied a lot of modernist and early post-modern works in school, and I was actually pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed them.

    Great answers! And Then There Were None is on my TBR too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm currently reading modernism and post-modernism in my American lit class and I'm loving it! But I do love the 19th century too, well in British lit, American lit of that era can be a little dry.
      Thanks for stopping by! and I would love to see you do this tag!

      Delete
    2. Yes! Emerson is a big exception! Thoreau too.

      Delete