Thursday, July 2, 2015

Just Added (8)

Back with another Just Added post where I spotlight three books I have recently added to my Goodreads (come add me as a friend!) TBR. I've got a mix of genres today, but I'm really interested in all of these!

Just Added (7)
Just Added (6): Graphic Novels

Lorali by Laura Dockrill
Summary from Goodreads:

Looking after a naked girl he found washed up under Hastings pier isn't exactly how Rory had imagined spending his sixteenth birthday. But more surprising than finding her in the first place is discovering where she has come from.

Lorali is running not just from the sea, not just from her position as princess, but her entire destiny. Lorali has rejected life as a mermaid, and become human.

But along with Lorali's arrival, and the freak weather suddenly battering the coast, more strange visitors begin appearing in Rory's bemused Sussex town. With beautifully coiffed hair, sharp-collared shirts and a pirate ship shaped like a Tudor house, the Abelgare boys are a mystery all of their own. What are they really up to? Can Rory protect Lorali? And who from? And where does she really belong, anyway?
Why I added it: I love the idea of mermaids, but I haven't read very many books about them and that is something I need to rectify! This one sounds a little mysterious and very atmospheric

Of Things Gone Astray by Janina Matthewson 
 
Summary from Goodreads:

On a seemingly normal morning in London, a group of people all lose something dear to them, something dear but peculiar: the front of their house, their piano keys, their sense of direction, their place of work.

Meanwhile, Jake, a young boy whose father brings him to London following his mother’s sudden death, finds himself strangely attracted to other people’s lost things. But little does he realize that his most valuable possession, his relationship with his father, is slipping away from him.

Of Things Gone Astray is a magical fable about modern life and values and finding the things that really matter.

Why I added it: Look at that cover! I saw it in my bookshop the other day and it is beautiful in person! The plot sounds whimsical and possibly full of magical realism. I have been craving some adult fiction recently, and this one looks really great. 

Tooth and Claw by Jo Walton 
 Summary from Goodreads:

A tale of love, money and family conflict - and everyone in the tale is a dragon, red in tooth and claw. 

A family of dragons gathers on the occasion of the death of their father, the elder Bon Agornin. As is custom, they must eat the body. But even as Bon's last remains are polished off, his sons and daughters must all jostle for a position in the new hierarchy. While the youngest son seeks greedy remuneration through the courts of law, the eldest son - a dragon of the cloth - agonises over his father's deathbed confession. While one daughter is caught between loyalty to her family by blood and her family by marriage, another daughter follows her heart - only to discover the great cost of true love...

Here is a Victorian story of political intrigue, family ties and political intrigue, set in a world of dragons - a world, quite literally, red in tooth and claw. Full of fiery wit, this is a novel unlike any other.

Why I added it: This book has been described as "The Pride and Prejudice of the dragon world". You best believe I am interested in that! I don't read a lot of dragon novels, but this one has really caught my interest. I would love to hear from anyone who has read this! 

No comments:

Post a Comment